Be sure to check out our new Blogs and discover all the new Free Training!
Newsletter for EducationOnlineForComputers.com
Computer Software Education, Training & Tutorial Resources
*** ISSUE #36 - April, 2007 ***
This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers
and is available on the web at
Newsletter Archives are here:
Subscribe and unsubscribe instructions are at the end.
Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
and associates who might be interested!
In This Issue:
1)... Editor's Greeting
2)... Best New Free Microsoft Office Training & Tutorial Sites
3)... The Best New Free Training Sites for Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, & other Adobe / Macromedia Applications
4)... Best New Free Web Development Training Sites
5)... Best New Free Windows, Linux, Hardware & Computer Training
6)... Software, Office and Computer Sites Worth Mentioning
7)... Question of the Month about Software Training
8)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission
1) Editor's Greeting:
Hello everyone, and welcome to our new subscribers!
Here is our April 2007 issue (#36) of our Free monthly Newsletter for EducationOnlineForComputers.com, giving you the most current Free online Microsoft Office and Web Development Software Training and Tutorial Resources that we have recently discovered and researched. This newsletter is free to anyone subscribing (instructions at bottom, no username/password is needed). To access our member site, however, you do need a user name and password - registering as a member of EducationOnlineForComputers.com costs only $14 for two months, for more information please see Become a Member of EducationOnlineForComputers.com.
My desire is that these free resources will help you with your computer education and training and will help you advance your career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate who are seeking to become computer literate, from a user's perspective.
By means of this email newsletter, you have knowledge of and access to these sites before our web site visitors do. The best of these resources will be added to our Member Training pages and the remainder to our Free Training pages.
In this issue we are featuring a total of 54 Computer Software Application training, learning and tutorial web sites, with a total of 114 tutorial courses linked. It features many Free Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Web Development training tutorials for your learning profit and enjoyment.
*** Current Issue ***
Please take a look at and bookmark our Blogs, these will be updated daily and weekly with New Free Training and Tutorial Resources, as I discover and evaluate them:
- Free Microsoft Office Training
- Free Web Development Training
- Free Adobe & Macromedia Training
- Free Technical Computer Training
- Free Computer Books & Ebooks
To get your Free MS Office and Web Development Software Training updates via RSS, please copy (right click and copy shortcut or link location) and paste these urls into your RSS reader:
Please visit our New Free Training and Tutorial Search Engine, Edcomp.com - We have deployed a new website at www.edcomp.com that is a search engine with a large database of over 150,000 free IT education and training web resources, with another 70,000 free resources reserved exclusively for paid members. If you're an educationonlineforcomputers.com member, go to http://www.edcomp.com/members/ to access the special members' page for searching 220,000 free training web resources.
For your convenience, this newsletter is also available to subscribers in HTML format at this special url:
If you are looking for free technical or programming training, please visit our sister site:
Also, please check out our new free computer training search site at www.edcomp.com.
I wish you the best with your computer studies and learning.
Jeff Love Newsletter and Web Site Editor
"Learn New Skills and Increase Your Earning Power*** Become a Member of EducationOnlineForComputers.com ***
- With Free Online Computer Training!"
Our Members' Site contains the web's best Microsoft Office and other software training resources and tutorials. This content is individually linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your computer learning experience. We have done all the web research and presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your computer training. For short FAQ Answers, please see the end of this newsletter.
The total price to join as a member is only $14 total for 2 months, $24 for 4 months, $32 for 6 months, or $56 for a whole year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those seeking computer education and application end-user training. Here's the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign up.
This is our new free computer and IT education and training search engine housing over 140,000 free training internet resources! Just type in a topic you're looking for and get tons of great web resources instantly. These search results are much better than the big search engines, like google. You can also check out our predefined search results page giving you tons of free training resources: http://www.edcomp.com/predefined.htm.
--> Here is Your Reward for Subscribing to this Newsletter <--
*** Get Your Free Microsoft Office Forms and Templates ***Click here for tons of Free Office Forms and Templates
2) The Best New Free Microsoft Office Training & Tutorial Sites:
This section of our newsletter contains the best new Free Microsoft Office training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in the last few weeks.
TrainingByEmailVisit TrainingByEmail to receive Free Training for Word, Excel, Outlook, C#, ASP.Net, and SQL via your email every week! We will send out a new training in the topic of your choosing every week. You can then save this, print it out, or delete it all at your convenience. And you can't beat the price, FREE!
Office Quick Reference Guides
Here are eight excellent 2-page Office Quick Reference Guides for Word 2003, Excel 2003, Outlook 2003 and 2002, PowerPoint 2003, Project 2002, and Visio Professional 2003 and 2002. These will come in handy when you need to find out how to do a task and perform a feature quickly in these Office applications.
Word 2003 Quick Reference
Excel 2003 Quick Reference
Outlook 2003 Quick Reference
Outlook 2002 Quick Reference
PowerPoint 2003 Quick Reference
Project 2002 Quick Reference
Visio 2003 Professional Quick Reference
Visio 2002 Professional Quick Reference
37 Word Tutorials and Articles
Here are 37 well written Word Tutorials and Articles from Computorcompanion.com. These will help you become more productive and efficient with using Word, and at the same time also help you learn and start using some of its more advanced features and techniques.
- Create Flash Cards in Word
- Get Your Book Done
- Answers to Your Questions
- Word - Section by Section
- Create a Quick To Do List Form
- A Glimpse at New Office 2007 Features Via Word
- Label a Lot of File Folders Using Word's Mail Merge
- Make Word Graphics Do What You Want
- Create a Fax Cover Sheet in Word
- Create a Calendar in Word
- Create a Newsletter in Microsoft Word Without Text Boxes
- Answers to Your Questions
- Understand Word's Headers and Footers
- Exporting Word Form Data
- Create a Resume in Word
- Create a Certificate in Microsoft Word
- Pass Repeated Information in a Word Document
- Create a Table of Contents in Word
- Create a Newsletter in Word
- Creating an Index in Word
- Automate Word Watermarks
- Create Business Cards in Word
- Use AutoText to Create a Text Library
- Create a Photo Album in Word
- Little-Known Word Keyboard Tricks
- Tricky Type Techniques
- Add AutoShapes in Word
- Create Quick Greeting Cards in Word
- Get Organized Now!
- Use Word to Create a Tri-Fold Brochure
- Organize Your Contact Information
- Find Word's Buried Treasures
- Merge Pictures and Words - Oh My!
- OLE by Example
- Speed up with Styles
- Merge Spreadsheet Data Into Word
- Adjusting Microsoft Word to Fit
Word 2003 Video Training Tutorials from BSU.edu
Here are some excellent Word 2003 Video Training Tutorials from Ball State University. These Word video tutorials will show you how to create more attractive Word docs and how to do it faster. Some of the Word features covered here are: Formatting and Edting a Document (font attributes, page numbering, columns, indenting, page breaks, headers-footers, text effects, spell check, find and replace, entering URLs); Adding Images and Charts (insert pictures and clip-art, copy Excel Chart into document, insert symbols); Printing (print preview, print selected text and pages); Web page creation; and Document Statistics.
Formatting and Editing a DocumentAdd Images or Charts to a Document
- Change the Font Size, Style, and Color
- Format Your Document Using Bold, Italic, and Underline
- Add Page Numbers to Your Document
- Divide Your Document into Columns
- Using the Indent Feature
- Insert Page Breaks into Your Document
- Inserting Headers and Footers
- Apply Text Effects to Existing Text
- Spell Check Your Word Document
- Using Cut and Paste
- Using Find and Replace
- Moving Text Within a Word Document
- Learn How to Enter URLs Into Word Documents
- Insert Clip Art into a Word Document
- Insert a Picture into a Word Document
- Copy an Excel Chart into a Word Document
- Insert Symbols into Your Word Document
14 Excel Tutorials and Articles
Here are 14 Excel Tutorials and Articles from Computorcompanion.com that will show you how to be more productive and useful with Excel (Microsoft's spreadsheet application). Your skills and ability to analayze, crunch, and present your numeric and other data will improve by reading and applying the concepts presented by these Excel tutorials.
- Let Excel Solve All Your Problems
- Use Excel to Get Dates
- How Excel Taught Me to Cook
- Chart Events in Microsoft Excel
- Create Multiple Combination Charts in Excel
- Use Excel to Achieve Your Goals
- Manage Your Inventory in Excel
- OLE by Example
- Debt by the Numbers
- Getting Started with Spreadsheets
- Calculating in a Spreadsheet
- Merge Spreadsheet Data Into Word
- Graphing Success
- Integrate Excel in Word
Excel 2003 Video Training Tutorials from BSU.edu
Here are some excellent Excel 2003 Video Training Tutorials from Ball State University. These Excel video tutorials demonstrate many of the important features and functionality of Excel, including: Formulas and Cell References; Formatting Cells and Data (column width, row height, text alignment, font size and color, formatting a range, merge and center columns, freezing a row or column); Modifying a Worksheet ( inserting columns and rows, copying and pasting cells); Functions (autosum, max, min, average); and Working with Multiple Worksheets.
- Microsoft Excel 2003 Introduction
- Simple formulas and cell references
- Create Basic Excel Spreadsheet
- Using "Save" and "Save As" Option
Formatting Cells and Data
- Column Width
- Row Height
- Text Alignment
- Format Font, Size and Color
- Formatting a Range of Cells in Excel
- Format Percentages
- Use Merge and Center Columns
- Word Wrap Alignment In Excel
- Freeze a Row or Column to Control Display
Modifying a Worksheet
Working with Multiple Sheets
11 PowerPoint Tutorials and Articles
Here are 11 PowerPoint Tutorials and Articles from Computorcompanion.com. These tutorials will help you with PowerPoint features, such as Shape Styles, Charting, Animations and Transitions, Music and Sound, Colors, Backgrounds, and PowerPoint Shows.
- What are Shape Styles in PowerPoint 2007?
- 3-D Charts in PowerPoint
- Choose the Right Colors in PowerPoint
- Adding Transition and Animation Effects in PowerPoint
- Create Picture Frames in PowerPoint
- Add CD Tracks to PowerPoint Presentations
- Create a PowerPoint Background from Any Picture
- Simple Quizzes in PowerPoint
- Create a PowerPoint Media Presentation
- Create Star Wars Credits in PowerPoint
- Set Up PowerPoint Shows
PowerPoint 2003 Video Tutorials from BSU.edu
Here are some great PowerPoint 2003 Video Training Tutorials provided free by Ball State University. These will help you become a better PowerPoint user, increasing your skills with creating and presenting slide presentations. Features taught by these PowerPoint Tutorials include: choosing a design template, creating a title slide, adding sound, changing the layout, formatting text, inserting clip art, adding a hyperlink, rearranging slides, and printing your presentation.
Modifying a Presentation
- Add Sound to a Presentation
- Change the Layout of a Slide
- Format Text in Your Presentation
- Insert a Side into an Existing Presentation
- Insert Clip Art onto a Slide
- Add a Hyperlink to a Slide
Outlook 2003 Video Tutorials from BSU.edu
Here are several easy to follow Outlook 2003 Video Training Tutorials from Ball State University. These Outlook 2003 video tutorials cover most of the important features and functionality that you need to know when using this email application. Some of the features demonstrated are: Enable Spam Filtering, Block a Sender, Customize Junk Mail Settings, Your Email Quota, Recall Messages, Create an Archive,Uundelete an Email, Add a Signature, Out of Office Assistant, Global Address List, Add a Contact, Add an Appointment, Schedule a Meeting, Print Your Calendar, Export Calendar Items, Add a Delegate, Public Folders, Outlook Notes, and Follow-up Flags.
Manage Your Account
- Enable Junk E-mail filtering
- Block a Sender to Stop Getting E-mail from Them
- Customize Tool Bar for Junk Mail
- Check Your E-mail Quota
- Mark Messages as Unread
- Recall Sent Messages
- Creating an Archive Using Microsoft Outlook 2003
- Undelete an E-mail or Other Outlook Item
Using the Address Book and Contacts
- Add a Signature in Outlook
- Add a Signature in Outlook that Includes a Graphic
- Out of Office Assistant
Working with the Calendar
- Using the Global Address List
- Add a Contact from a E-mail
- Create an Outlook Contact
- New E-mail Addresses Listing
Sharing Access to Outlook
- Add an Appointment to Your Calendar
- Schedule a Meeting Using Busy Search
- Create a Reoccurring Appointment
- Delete Multiple Appointments
- Print Your Calendar
- Export Calendar Items
Outlook Web Access Video Tutorials from BSU.edu
Here are several excellent Outlook Web Access Video Training Tutorials from Ball State University. Outlook Web Access (OWA) is sometimes referred to as webmail, and it provides a nice method to access your e-mail account from the Internet. These Outlook Web Access video tutorials teach how to use some of the important features of this Internet email application, such as: Mark Messages as Read, Restore Deleted Items, Change the Background Color, Add a Signature, Use the Out of Office Assistant, Manage Junk Mail, Block a Sender, and Print Your Calendar.
Manage Your Account
- Empty Your Deleted Items Folder Using OWA
- Mark a Message as Unread
- Change your OWA Time Zone
- Restore Deleted Items
Dealing with Junk Mail and SPAM
- Change the Color of Your OWA Screen
- Add a Signature to Your E-mails
- Using the Out of Office Assistant
Print your Calendar from OWA
Access 2003 Video Tutorials from BSU.edu
Here are Ball State's Microsoft Access 2003 Video Tutorials. These Access Tutorials will help you use this database application to become more productive with organizing, accessing, and sharing information and data. One thing about Access is that end-users can use it without much training, while developers can use it to write complex applications. These tutorials cover and teach creating tables in Access, creating relationships, entering data into records, udpating data in a database, changing fields and tables, validation rules, working with queries, and printing with Access.
- Create a Table Using the Table Wizard
- Create a Table Using the Design View
- Create a Table by Importing Data from an Excel Spreadsheet
Validation Rules Navigating the Database and Finding Specific Records
- Add a Row to an Existing Table
- Add a Field to an Existing Table
- View and Update a Table Using an AutoForm
- Using the Lookup Wizard to Access and then Modify a the Table Properties
- Add an Input Mask to an Existing Table
Working with Queries
- Search a Table to Find a Specific Record
- Using the Lookup Field Wizard
- Navigating Among Table Records Using the Data Sheet View
Printing from Access
- Create a Select Query
- View the Results of a Query
- Add Fields to a Query Design Grid
- Create a Query Based Upon Multiple Tables
3) The Best New Free Training Sites for Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, and other Adobe and Macromedia Applications
Flash MX Quick Reference Guide
Here is a nice 2-page Flash MX Quick Reference Guide, or cheat sheet. It covers the Flash features and functionality listed below. This short guide can help you use Flash very efficiently.
Topics and Features covered:
- The Toolbox
- Keyboard Shortcuts.
- The Timeline
- The Stage
- Tweened Animation
- Adding Motion Guides
- Frame-By-Frame Animation
- Editing Animation
- The Movie Explorer
- The Property Inspector
Flash MX Ebook
Using the features and power of Flash MX, you can create animated logos, Web site navigation controls, animations, entire Flash Web sites, or Web applications. Flash movies on your web site can include graphics, text, animation, and entire applications. They can also provide interactivity so your users enjoy their experiences and return later. Because Flash files mainly contain vector graphics, they are easily downloaded and scale nicely to the user's screen size. However, these files also can contain imported video, bitmap graphics, and sounds.
This Flash MX Ebook reviews and discusses many of the features and functionality available in Flash MX. It also teaches you all of the new features that were made available with this release of Flash, listed below. This Flash ebook has a file size of 8119kb, is 438 pages in length, and is in pdf format.
Flash Tutorials from FlashTutorials.us
FlashTutorials.us provides many free Macromedia Flash Tutorials links to high-quality Flash tutorials around the web. Below are the categories of Flash functionality and features that they offer tutorials on. Macromedia Flash permits web developers to bring together video, audio, graphics, and text into a web site or web applicaction to increase the user experience and provide interactivity.
Topics for Flash Tutorials:
- Flash Basics
- Flash Effects
- Text Effects
- Video Content
- Sounds and Audio
- Dynamic Content
Top 7 Photoshop Tutorials from Sitepoint
Here are 7 of the best Photoshop Tutorials from Sitepoint, which hosts many good web development tutorials.
Controlled Image Sharpening with Photoshop CS2
Learn how to use Photoshop's Unsharp Mask filter with your images and photos. Gaining mastery using this Photoshop tool includes learning some good techniques, and having a little patience and an artistic eye.
Web Domination Using Photoshop
This Photoshop tutorial teaches you some of the basic tasks that you need to know as a Photoshop user. These include resizing and rotating documents and layers, working with masks, creating curves and custom shapes, working with transparent images, gradients, style dialogs, and more.
5 Great Background Masking Techniques in Photoshop
Discover how to do the following masking techniques using Photoshop: Isolate objects; Extract objects; Cut out an image; Remove a background. You'll learn how to take a photo and isolate an object in it from the rest of the image, without the background.
Fade Images in Photoshop Using Layer Masks
This Photoshop tutorial will show you two ways to use Layer Masks to fade pictures. Doing this will also help you perform these tasks:
- Transfer or copy images into a Photoshop document
- Work with layers
- Use the gradient, brush, and move tools
- Resize images and layers
Design a Website In Photoshop
Learn the graphical method to designing and laying out a website from the beginning.
Photoshop Shortcuts At A Glance
Learn the many keyboard shortcuts that are available to use in Photoshop/
Creating Batch File Processes in Photoshop
Find out how to do batch file processes with Photoshop, such as loading images from a CD and converting them to low-resolution (web) and RGB mode.
Photoshop is the world's most popular image editor, which will allow you to edit both digital photos and bit-mapped graphics, from any source. It runs on both the Apple Macintosh and the Windows PC. This Photoshop Ebook covers all of Photoshop's features and functions that are available for version 6. Its file size 15,128kb, contains 1047 pages, and is pdf format. The ebook will teach you how to use Photoshop using step-by-step directions and demonstrations. It also provides many tips, tricks, and design techniques that will help you create visually attractive images and photos.
- Part I: Welcome to Photoshop
- Part II: Painting and Retouching
- Part III: Selections, Masks, and Filters
- Part IV: Layers, Objects, and Text
- Part V: Color for Print and the Web
Photoshop Elements Video Training Tutorials from BSU.edu
Here are some excellent Photoshop Elements Video Training Tutorials from Ball State University. With Photoshop Elements, you can to edit, enhance, organize, and share your digital photos and images. These Photoshop Elements video tutorials will show you how to use some of the most important features of this photo and imaging editing application. Some of the features taught here are: the Zoom Tool, Resizing, Cropping, the Elliptical Marquee Tool, the Lasso Tool, Adding Text, Using Filters and Frames, Special Effects, and Using a Scanner with Photoshop Elements.
Working with Text
Using a Scanner
- Soften the Border of a Photo
- Using Artistic Filters
- Add a Frame to a Photo
- Convert a Photo to Black and White
4 Dreamweaver Tutorials and 2 Reviews
Here are the latest 4 Dreamweaver Tutorials and 2 Dreamweaver Reviews from Sitepoint. These tutorials deal with setting up Dreamweaver to be compliant with Web standards, customizing Dreamweaver's config file, creating web animation using Dreamweaver, and adding simple Flash movies to your Web pages with Dreamweaver.
Dreamweaver 8 Does Standards
This is the latest Dreamweaver version from Macromedia and it supports Web standards and the WCAG more that previous versions did. This tutorial article describes how Dreamweaver previously supported standards and then demonstrates how to set up Dreamweaver 8 so its compliant with Web standards development. It then takes you through the creation of a Web document using XHTML Strict with some new Dreamweaver 8 tools which will help you generate code that is both accessible and standards compliant.
Customize Dreamweaver MX to Your Needs
This tutorial demonstrates how you can setup and customize Dreamweaver the way you want to use it. Though it pertains to Dreamweaver MX, many of the examples and tweaks shown here can be performed in earlier versions. You will be updating the Dreamweaver config file in the /Configuration/ directory. Backing up of this file is recommended and it needs to be modified by a text editor, not by Dreamweaver itself.
Animation in Dreamweaver
Easy Flash with Dreamweaver 4
This tutorial shows you how to use the tools in Dreamweaver 4 to quickly add simple Flash movies directly to your Web pages. The tools to add Flash are Flash Text and Flash Buttons, and the designs are built into these tools. The controls to use to do this are all in the Objects panel, starting with the Common Objects panel.
Dreamweaver 8 Reviewed
Here is a review of Dreamweaver 8, detailing the pros, and outlining the cons, of this release to help you make a purchasing decision on it. The user experience of Dreamweaver 8 is basically the same as the previous versions. The panels are all about the same, located in the same locations, and the toolbars and tabs are identical. However, deep inside the application, Dreamweaver 8 does provide some brand new features and ways of doing things. For one thing, for web developers, this version provides an almost real coding IDE, which offers new features for writing better code quicker, for those who don't want a WYSIWYG editor.
Review - Dreamweaver MX 2004
In Dreamweaver MX 2004, Macromedia has redone the look and feel of the user interface, but these changes are basically skin deep, and all features and functionality works pretty much the same way it did in Dreamweaver MX and Dreamweaver 4. The most important update is better support for CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), including complete pop-up hints for hand-coding CSS. The major feature of this new CSS funcationality in this release is the Relevant CSS Panel.
FrontPage 2003 Video Training Tutorials from BSU.edu
Here are some excellent FrontPage 2003 Video Training Tutorials from Ball State University. FrontPage is the web page authoring and editing application from Microsoft.. These FrontPage video tutorials will teach you and show you many important features of FrontPage, such as Formatting Web Pages (background picture and sounds, alternative image text); Managing a Web Site (backup site, delete site, reports about site, do redirect, uploading files); adding shared borders; create, restrict, remove a subsite; and apply, create, remove themes.
Formatting a Web Page
Manage a Web Site
- Add a Background Picture to Your Web Page
- Include a Background Sound
- Remove the Scroll Bar from a Frame
- Add Alternative Text to Images
- Create an E-mail Link
- Backup Your FrontPage Web Site
- Delete a Published File
- Reports Option Within FrontPage
- Restrict Access to Your Site
- Remove a Restriction from the Root of a Web Site
- Set Up a Redirect
- Upload File to Your Web Site Using FrontPage 2003
- Use FrontPage 2003 to Convert a Folder to a Subsite
- Restrict a Subsite With FrontPage 2003
- Removing a Restriction from a Subsite
- Apply a Theme to Your Web Site
- Create Customized Theme
- Remove a Theme from a Single Page
- Remove a Theme from Your Web Site
4) The Best New Free Web Development Training Sites
Here is an excellent HTML Ebook which will help you increase your HTML skills in regards to its syntax, semantics, and elements of style. This HTML ebook provides lots of well-coded examples to use to practice with when writing your web pages. It is slightly dated, as it only teaches HTML ver. 4.0, but it offers a whole chapter on CSS, which you need to fully read and understand. The book also offers design and style recommendations that will help attract visitors and make your site accessible. You do not need to have any HTML experience to read and use the HTML lessons and examples presented. (4542kb, 588 pages, pdf format)
2 CSS Training Tutorials
Here are two Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) Training Tutorials from the University of Minnesota. These are very helpful with getting your familiar with CSS and understanding how to use and code these into your web pages. CSS is the preferred method now of developing web sites, so use CSS instead of HTML tags, such as <font>.
Inside Cascading Style Sheets
To use the tutorials in this training workshop, you'll need a text editor and have Dreamweaver 8 available (for that section only). These modules will introduce CSS and get you going with coding CSS in your web pages right away.
- Cascading Style Sheets Workshop
- Using CSS
- Defining a HTML Tag
- Defining a Page
- Importing an External Style Sheet
- CSS and Dreamweaver
- CSS for Your Use
Cascading Style Sheets Tips
Here are some great CSS tutorials and tips. Using these, you will learn the CSS basics: process, structure, semantics, and validating. These four techniques make up the foundation for getting everything coded correctly when using CSS in your web sites.
- A Process to Learn CSS.
- Structure and Selectors.
- Relative Units.
- Cascade Problems.
- CSS as a Diagnostic Tool.
- Grouping Selectors.
- CSS Shorthand.
- Organizing Similar Rules.
- External Stylesheets.
- XML Prolog.
- Quotation Marks.
- Inline Lists.
- overflow: hidden.
- Highlighting the Current Page.
HTML and CSS Reference in a Help File
This is a free HTML 4 and CSS 2 Help file in ebook format. It also includes a short step-by-step course to help you on developing your first web page.. Here is the download for this HTML and CSS reference.
- CSS 2 overview
- CSS 2 Syntax
- Sample Style Sheet
- HTML4 Overview
- HTML4 Syntax - by group
- HTML 4 Syntax - Alphabetical
- Color Reference
204 PHP Tips and Tutorials with Scripts
This is a blog post we made at intelligentedu.com that links to many PHP Tips and Tutorials at dev.fyicenter.com. The PHP example scripts and techniques demonstrated here will assist you as a beginner or as an experienced PHP web developer. They also include many excellent PHP tutorial exercises.
- Downloading and Installing PHP for Windows
- Understanding PHP String Literals and Operations
- Built-in PHP Functions for Strings
- Understanding PHP Arrays and Their Basic Operations
- Built-in PHP Functions for Arrays
- Creating Your Own PHP Functions
- Reading and Writing Files with PHP Functions
- Working with Directories and Files with PHP
- Processing Web Forms with PHP
- Understanding and Managing Cookies with PHP
- Understanding and Using Sessions in PHP
- Working with PHP and MySQL Database
- Uploading PHP Pages to Web Servers
Web Site Accessibility Tutorial
This is a Web Site Accessibility Tutorial from which you can learn all about what web accessibility is, why its important, how to design for it, when to implement it, and who is effected by web accessibility. This is provided by the University of Minnesota.
You will have learned the following after reading this tutorial:
Web Accessibility Tutorial Topics:
- Understanding of the meaning of web accessibility
- Understanding of who is affected by web accessibility
- Understanding of the rational of why web sites should be made accessible
- Awareness of the process of how to make web pages accessible
- Awareness of relevant web accessibility dates
- What is Accessibility?
- Who is effected by the accessibility of web sites
- Why make a web site accessible?
- How can I make my web site accessible?
- When should web sites be made accessible?
5) The Best New Free Windows, Linux, Hardware and General Computer Training Sites
Windows XP Tutorials from Towson University
- Windows XP: Fundamentals
- Hands On: An Introduction to the Personal Computer
- Windows XP: Folder Views
- Windows FAQ
- User Drive
- How Do I..?
- Network Drives--Understanding and Mapping
- Flash Drives
- File Management
- Mouse Properties
- Disable the Pop Up Blocker
- Compressing and Extracting Files Using WinZip or XP
- Creating Strong Passwords
- Copy Desktop Settings
- Customizing Your Windows XP Desktop
- Windows XP Service Pack 2: Frequently Asked Questions
- Windows XP: Add or Remove Program
- File Searching
- File Management
Tuning Up Your PC Tutorials from Towson University
- Defrag Your Hard Drive
- Cleaning Files Off Your PC
- Windows Update
- Troubleshooting Techniques
- Spam and Phishing
Windows XP Tutorials
Here are several good tutorials, from Ball State University, that teach you how to do more things with Windows XP. The categories are: Customize Windows XP, Printing from Windows XP, Delete or Restore Files, Networking, Maintaining Windows XP, Remote Access, and Working with Windows Programs.
Here are some Windows Vista beginner tutorials, from Ball State University, to help you get up to speed on this new operating system from Microsoft
- Check Your System Specs - Before making the decision to upgrade to Windows Vista, it is important to make sure that your computer has the capacity to run it. Review the specification of your Windows XP machine, such as CPU speed, amount of memory, and harddrive size.
- Tour the Vista Welcome Center - The Vista Welcome Center is a screen that provides quick links to several common tasks, such as customizing Vista and looking up system specifications.
- Accessing the Vista Start Menu - Learn how to access the Start Menu in Vista and then access some of the features available in the Start Menu.
- Change the Desktop Background Image - There are three easy ways to change the background image in Vista.
6) Software, Office and Computer Sites and Downloads Worth Mentioning
The following programs are totally Free, no popups, adware, spyware, or shareware.
DVD Decrypter 220.127.116.11
DVD Decrypter is a free utility with which you can decrypt and copy DVDs to your PC's hard disk. Once on your hard drive, you can watch them with a program such as WinDVD. If desired, you can also write them back to DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD+R DL / DVD-RAM media or you can convert them to VCD / SVCD / DivX for burning onto a CD-R / CD-RW. It has an 'ISO Write' mode for most types of CD / DVD images. Download DVD Decrypter (858 kb)
BSplayer can play all types of media files (avi, mpg, asf, wmv, wav, mp3...) and specialises in video and divx playback. It has many cool features, including these:
- Display subtitles
- Drag & drop support
- Pan-scan and custom pan-scan option
- Custom aspect ratios
- Resolution changing
- Frame capture
- AVI files with more than 2 audio streams supported (multilanguage)
- External audio file supported
- Simple equalizer (DirectX 8 required)
- Playback rate (1/2x, 1x, 2x) and custom
- Download BSplayer (2681 kb)
Dictionary 2000 4.1
This is a free language translation Dictionary with which you are able to translate among any of the 11 supported languages. Supported languages include English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Norwegian. Download Dictionary 2000 (2757 kb)
WYSIWYG Web Builder 2.8
This is a simple, easy to use application to help you write and develop web pages. It generates HTML code as you type and click on the functions you need. Supports drag and drop to place objects anywhere on the page, better than FrontPage does. A publish feature is included to upload your web pages to your web server. Download WYSIWYG Web Builder (529 kb)
Instant Messenger 2 18.104.22.1688
This is an instant messenger that connects to AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN, and Yahoo, so you can communicate no matter which IM network your co-workers and friends are using. It supports file transfers, chat, online status, audio and video conferencing, file sharing and more. Download Instant Messenger (4821 kb)
Mozilla Cleaner 1.42
You can use Mozilla Cleaner to clean out and remove files by Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. It deletes data from your browsing history, cached pages, cookies and sent mail. It also can remove your Windows temporary files and the clipboard. Able to be configured to run at startup or when the Mozilla program terminates. Download Mozilla Cleaner (165 kb)
7) Question of the Month about Software Training:
Each month Jeff Love will answer a current or important question that we have received about computer and software training.
April 2007 Question of the Month:
Can you please give a selection of free web page graphical (GUI) editors that I can use to create web pages without doing HTML coding?
Sure, here are the best free WYSIWYG or graphical web editors that you can use to create web pages and sites easily without doing alot of HTML code development.
Nvu bills itselft as the complete web authoring system for Linux, Macintosh and Windows. I have used this one many times and the only issues I have found with this app are: 1)it crashes if too many pages are opened at once (Windows only) and 2) with multiple windows open it sometimes loses focus on the current open page.
WYSIWYG Web Builder
Please see the description of this gui web editor in Section 6 above.
Angel Writer is a free text editor allowing you to create impressive documents that contain formatted text, graphics and tables. You can learn how to work with Angel Writer in five minutes since it is very similar to Microsoft Word.
ThunderSite Free Web Editor
ThunderSite belongs to a new generation of high quality website editors that allow you to create professional-looking websites in record time and with maximum ease.
A powerful, free HTML editor, AceHTML comes packed with outstanding features. Although this Web page software is completely free, it offers a solid collection of tools to help novices and professional webmasters build Web sites with speed, ease, and convenience.
Web Page authoring has never been easier or more affordable. WebDwarf Free is Virtual Mechanics' easy to use drag-and-drop webpage editor. Features include a word processor with spell checker and link editor, built-in graphics creation and image editing, enhanced page layout including a snap-to grid and tabs, and an FTP client.
CoffeeCup Free HTML Editor
The CoffeeCup Free HTML Editor is a drag and drop HTML Editor with Built-in FTP uploading. It has wizards for tables, frames, forms and fonts and comes with all HTML 4.0 and XHTML tags. Here is another version of this software.
1st Page 2006
Portello Online SiteEditor
Portello is a completely new and unique way of updating your web site. Portello is a plug-in to Internet Explorer that puts your page into an editable mode. It`s not just the easiest way of updating your page, but also the fastest.
Create free and professional looking presentations and make them available on the Internet from your home computer.
I hope this helps you.
8) Please Support Our Training Mission
How You Can Support Our Computer and Software Training Mission
Please help support EducationOnlineForComputers.com's Computer and Sofware Education and Training Mission by visiting our sponsors below and requesting more information. By doing so, you will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an Information Technology career.
This is our new free computer and IT education and training search engine housing over 150,000 free training internet resources! Just type in a topic you're looking for and get tons of great web resources instantly. These search results are much better than the big search engines, like google. You can also check out our predefined search results page giving you tons of free training resources: http://www.edcomp.com/predefined.htm.
ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:
University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career
DeVry: Online degrees for working adults
Free Computer Software Training Now!
A free and member-based software educational and training portal web site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked many sites that will be of keen interest to computer software application end-users seeking free training and knowledge. Many subject areas are covered, including Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamwever, FrontPage, Web Development, Windows, Linux, and Computer Hardware. You are able to study and learn all about computer software via Free training, courses, tutorials, documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Check us out today.
Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are eXPected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices. Downloaded and online material is copyrighted whether or not a copyright notice is present.
***EducationOnlineForComputers.com's Member Site ***
Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer software training resources and tutorials. This content is individually linked and presented in a way to eXPedite and facilitate your software and computer learning eXPerience. We have done all the web research and presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your computer training.
EducationOnlineForComputers.com Member Site FAQ Answers:
- All of the web sites and pages in our members site are not in the free section of our web site. The member site training is more detailed and the best available. The online training resources in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much more detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will save you time in finding all the best free training on the web.
- You can choose to pay using either Paypal or 2Checkout. If paying pay check and you live in the U.S., please select 2Checkout.
- You have a choice to select the non-recurring or recurring method of payment. If you select non-recurring, when your membership period eXPires, you will not be automatically charged another fee on your credit card or check.
- The total price to join our member's site is only $14 total for 2 months, $24 for 4 months, $32 for 6 months, or $56 for a whole year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those seeking software application education training. Here's the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign up: http://tinyurl.com/7ien You can email Jeff Love with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
I will give you 5 Great Free Bonuses when you sign up now.
These are as follows:
- 28 Modules of Soft Skills Training, covering topics such as Coaching, Delegating, Finance Essentials, Hiring, Leading and Motivating Team, Making a Presentation, Managing Your Time, and Setting Goals.
- 19 Online Business and Reference Books, including titles such as Scientific Advertising, The Art of Electronic Publishing, and Small Business Manual
- 12 Instructive e-Books, including On Line Stealth Marketing, 7 Secrets to Unlimited Traffic, and Increase Auction Profits.
- Instant and Easy Online Access to the 24 Best Free Computer Help & Support Sites.
- 45 of the Best, Completely Free Programs and Utilities.
To Subscribe to this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank email to this address:
(You will need to confirm using a link in a confirming email.)
Or go to this web page and use the subscribe form:
To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank email to this address:
(no need to confirm)
Or simply go to this web page and use the unsubscribe form: