Be sure to check out our new Blogs and discover all the new Free Training!
Newsletter for EducationOnlineForComputers.com
Computer Software Education, Training & Tutorial Resources
*** ISSUE #42 - October, 2007 ***
This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers
and is available on the web at
Newsletter Archives are here:
Subscribe and unsubscribe instructions are at the end.
Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
and associates who might be interested!
In This Issue:
1)... Editor's Greeting
2)... Best New Free Microsoft Office Training & Tutorial Sites
3)... The Best New Free Training Sites for Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, & other Adobe / Macromedia Applications
4)... Best New Free Web Development Training Sites
5)... Best New Free Windows, Linux, Hardware & Computer Training
6)... Software, Office and Computer Sites Worth Mentioning
7)... Question of the Month about Software Training
8)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission
1) Editor's Greeting:
Hello everyone, and welcome to our new subscribers!
Here is our October 2007 issue (#42) of our Free monthly Newsletter for EducationOnlineForComputers.com, giving you the most current Free online Microsoft Office and Web Development Software Training and Tutorial Resources that we have recently discovered and researched. This newsletter is free to anyone subscribing (instructions at bottom, no username/password is needed). To access our member site, however, you do need a user name and password - registering as a member of EducationOnlineForComputers.com costs only $14 for two months, for more information please see Become a Member of EducationOnlineForComputers.com.
My desire is that these free resources will help you with your computer education and training and will help you advance your career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate who are seeking to become computer literate, from a user's perspective.
By means of this email newsletter, you have knowledge of and access to these sites before our web site visitors do. The best of these resources will be added to our Member Training pages and the remainder to our Free Training pages.
In this issue we are featuring a total of 72 Computer Software Application training, learning and tutorial web sites, with a total of 128 tutorial courses linked. It features many Free Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Web Development training tutorials for your learning profit and enjoyment.
*** Current Issue ***
Please take a look at and bookmark our Blogs, these will be updated daily and weekly with New Free Training and Tutorial Resources, as I discover and evaluate them:
- Free Microsoft Office Training
- Free Web Development Training
- Free Adobe & Macromedia Training
- Free Technical Computer Training
- Free Computer Books & Ebooks
To get your Free MS Office and Web Development Software Training updates via RSS, please copy (right click and copy shortcut or link location) and paste these urls into your RSS reader:
Please visit our New Free Training and Tutorial Search Engine, Edcomp.com - We have deployed a new website at www.edcomp.com that is a search engine with a large database of over 150,000 free IT education and training web resources, with another 70,000 free resources reserved exclusively for paid members. If you're an educationonlineforcomputers.com member, go to http://www.edcomp.com/members/ to access the special members' page for searching 220,000 free training web resources.
For your convenience, this newsletter is also available to subscribers in HTML format at this special url:
If you are looking for free technical or programming training, please visit our sister site:
Also, please check out our new free computer training search site at www.edcomp.com.
I wish you the best with your computer studies and learning.
Jeff Love Newsletter and Web Site Editor
"Learn New Skills and Increase Your Earning Power*** Become a Member of EducationOnlineForComputers.com ***
- With Free Online Computer Training!"
Our Members' Site contains the web's best Microsoft Office and other software training resources and tutorials. This content is individually linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your computer learning experience. We have done all the web research and presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your computer training. For short FAQ Answers, please see the end of this newsletter.
The total price to join as a member is only $14 total for 2 months, $24 for 4 months, $32 for 6 months, or $56 for a whole year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those seeking computer education and application end-user training. Here's the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign up.
This is our new free computer and IT education and training search engine housing over 140,000 free training internet resources! Just type in a topic you're looking for and get tons of great web resources instantly. These search results are much better than the big search engines, like google. You can also check out our predefined search results page giving you tons of free training resources: http://www.edcomp.com/predefined.htm.
--> Here is Your Reward for Subscribing to this Newsletter <--
*** Get Your Free Microsoft Office Forms and Templates ***Click here for tons of Free Office Forms and Templates
2) The Best New Free Microsoft Office Training & Tutorial Sites:
This section of our newsletter contains the best new Free Microsoft Office training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in the last few weeks.
TrainingByEmailVisit TrainingByEmail to receive Free Training for Word, Excel, Outlook, C#, ASP.Net, and SQL via your email every week! We will send out a new training in the topic of your choosing every week. You can then save this, print it out, or delete it all at your convenience. And you can't beat the price, FREE!
Word 2003 Tutorial from the University of Texas
Here is an excellent Word 2003 Tutorial, from the University of Texas, that will help you learn how to use some of the most important features of Word. To use this tutorial, you need to be familiar with operating Microsoft office applications, opening and closing documents, and using toolbars. Most of the features taught in this Word tutorial can also be used in earlier versions of Word.
Word 2003 Tutorial Contents:
- Background, Borders & Margins
- Fonts & Line Spacing
- Cut, Copy & Paste
- Insert Graphics/Pictures
- Tables & Lists
- Headers & Footers
- Endnotes & Footnotes
- Spelling, Grammar & Word Count
- Previewing & Printing
- Page Breaks & Section Breaks
- Tracking Changes
- Evaluate this tutorial
- PDF Handout
Mail Merge Tutorial
Mail Merge is what you need to do, using Word and Excel, to copy one row of information at a time from a spreadsheet document into a Word document. Using this Mail Merge Tutorial, you will create personalized letters and mailing labels using these two documents. Using this technique, you do not have to manually edit each letter and label over and over again, thus saving work and time. To perform a mail merge, you will need a Word dcoument and an Excel spreadsheet with similar data in each row, signifying a record.Mail Merge Tutorial Contents:
- Part I: Creating Mail Merge on a PC
- Steps 1 & 2: Starting the Mail Merge Process
- Step 3: Linking to the Data Source
- Step 4: Inserting Merge Fields
- Step 5: Previewing the Merge
- Step 6: Completing the Merge
- Part II: Mail Merge Toolbar or Maillings Tab on a PC
- Part III: Tips and Tricks
- Part IV: Data Mail Merge Manager on a Mac
- Additional Resources
- Evaluate this tutorial
- PDF Handout
Excel 2003 Tutorial from the University of Texas
Here is an excellent Excel 2003 Tutorial, from the University of Texas, that will help you learn how to use several features of Excel. This Excel tutorial provides you with a solid understanding of the basic functionality of Excel, teaches some of it essential tools, and then explains some ways to use Excel that are helpful for completing tasks related to information science. Most of the topics demonstrated in this Excel tutorial can also be used in earlier versions of Excel.
Excel 2003 Tutorial Contents:
- Navigating in Excel
- Data Types
- Sorting Data
- Alignment & Formatting
- Importing & Printing
- Charts & Graphs
- Evaluate this tutorial
36 Excel Tutorials and Learning Manuals
Here are 36 Excel Tutorials and Learning Manuals, in pdf format, courtesy of acrobatfiles.com. These are located in their Microsoft Office section. They cover many topics and features of Excel that will help you use this spreadsheet application more effectively, especially with functions and formulas. Most of these free Excel training and tutorial documents are located at higher education and university web sites. You may have to register for free at this site.
- Excel Tutorial
- Tutorial: Microsoft Office Word 2003: Collaboration Introduction
- Excel Tutorial Commonly used Excel functions.
- Excel Tutorial: How to use Excel for Graphs and Calculations
- Microsoft Excel Tutorial Handout The Excel Screen
- Tutorial: Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Introduction: Opening Excel
- Using Excel Tutorial
- Excel 2003 Tutorial I
- Tutorial Selected Applications OF MS Excel
- Excel 2003 Tutorial II
- Setting Up Linear Programs In Excel
- Using formulae and functions in Microsoft Excel 2003
- Microsoft Excel, Part II
- Introduction Topics Advanced Microsoft Excel: Formulas and Functions
- MS Office Excel 2003 Basics
- Simple MS Excel Formula Example
- A Tutorial for Excel 2002 for Windows
- Using Grade Book with Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007
- Introductory Exercises In Microsoft Excel 2000 This document
- Intermediate Excel for Windows
- The Misuse of RC4 in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Problems With Using Microsoft Excel for Statistics
- Getting Started with Excel
- Beginning Excel for Windows
- Microsoft Excel: Excellent Gradebooks
- Vista Gradebook with Excel
- Tutorial 1 2007 Excel for statistical data analysis
- Financial Management
- Excel: Functions & Data Analysis Tools
- Analytical Accounting
- Excel Formulas & Functions
- Excel XP/2000: Formulas and Functions
- Excel Basics: Formulas and Functions
- Formulas and the Sum Function in Excel
- Excel Lesson
PowerPoint 2003 Tutorial from the University of Texas
Here is a well written PowerPoint 2003 Tutorial, from the University of Texas, that will help you get up to speed with using many features of PowerPoint. You will also learn what these PowerPoint terms mean and how to use them: Presentation, Slides, Layout, View, Design Template, Slide Show, Placeholder, and Sizing handles. Most of the topics demonstrated in this Excel tutorial can also be used in earlier versions of Excel.
PowerPoint 2003 Tutorial Contents:
- Starting PowerPoint
- Layouts, Text and Slides
- Design Templates and Images
- Drawing Tools
- Views and Printing
- Displaying your Presentation on the WWW
- Elements of a Good Presentation
- Tips and Additional Resources
- Evaluate this tutorial
- PDF Handout
PowerPoint Tips and Guidelines
Here are 9 PowerPoint Tip and Guideline Documents, in pdf format. These tips will help you use many features of PowerPoint more efficiently with greater ease, and create more attractive and compelling to your audience.
- PowerPoint Tips
- General PowerPoint Tips
- PowerPoint Tips to A Better Presentation
- PowerPoint Design Tips
- PowerPoint Tool Tips
- Supplemental PowerPoint Tips
- PowerPoint Shortcuts, Tips, and Tricks
- Tips for Creating and Using Effective PowerPoint Presentations
- PowerPoint Guides, Tips, and Help
Microsoft Access 2003 Tutorial from the Univeristy of Texas
Here is the Microsoft Access 2003 Tutorial written and hosted by the University of Texas. Using this Access tutorial, you will learn how to use and apply database concepts and operations. It demonstrates step-by-step how these are accomplished in Access 2003. This tutorial covers frequently-used Access features, such as the creating tables, developing queries, entering and editing data, sorting and finding records, and importing spreadsheet into Access.
Access 2003 Tutorial Contents:
- Access VS. Excel
- Starting Access and Opening a Database
- Database Components
- Creating Tables in Design View
- Adding and Deleting Fields to Tables
- Entering and Editing Data
- Sorting and Finding Records
- Table Relationships
- Creating Queries
- Importing Excel Data to Access
- Additional Resources
- Evaluate this tutorial
- PDF Handout
Visio 2003 Tutorial
Here is the Visio 2003 Tutorial from the University of Texas. Visio allows you to draw and render ideas, concepts, and structures into a visual representation. This application gives you already defined shapes, symbols, backgrounds, and borders to work with. This Visio tutorial teaches you how to create flowchart diagrams, and demonstrates how a web design wire frame and an organization chart look in Visio after they are drawn. After going through this tutorial, you can try out the tools to create other kinds of charts and graphs, and web diagrams.Visio 2003 Tutorial Contents:
- Getting Started and Navigating in Visio
- Creating a New Diagram
- Adding and Modifying Text
- Creating a Background
- Modifying the Color Scheme
- Adding a Hyperlink
- What to do with Your Visio Drawing
- Other Types of Visio Drawings
- Evaluate this tutorial
- PDF Handout
3) The Best New Free Training Sites for Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, and other Adobe and Macromedia Applications
134 Flash Tutorials
Here are 134 Flash Tutorials hosted by FlashVault.net. These cover the following Flash features and functions: 3D, Actionscript, Animations, Sound, Drawing, Navigation, Special Effects, Text Effects, and Creating Flash Websites. The Flash tutorials are linked by topic below, along with their newest tutorials. This site does have some popups.
Flash Tutorial Categories:
- 3D (2)
- Actionscripting (32)
- Animation (19)
- Audio (4)
- Drawing (6)
- Full Flash sites (4)
- Getting Started (9)
- Navigation (19)
- Special Effects (31)
- Text Effects (8)
Newest Flash Tutorials:
» Advanced drop down Flash menu
This Flash 8 tutorial explains step-by-setp how to make an advanced drop-down Flash menu using actionscript code.
» Photo Animation in Flash
Learn how to create photo animation in Flash without using actionscript. You can use this effect on any photo.
» Simple Flash header
This Flash tutorial demonstrates how to create a Flash header using some special Flash tricks.
» Picture Slide show with effect in Flash
Find out how to create a picture slide show in Flash with effects using some special Flash tips and tricks. No Actionscript coding is needed.
» Vanishing picture effect
Learn how to apply a vanishing effect on any photo using Flash filter.
» Changing object color on click
This Flash tutorial teaches you how to change an object's color using actionscript code and color buttons.
» Advanced and modern Flash menu
How to create a modern Flash website menu using actionscript.
» E-mail button in Flash
How to create an email web button in Flash using a little actionscript code.
» Dark Flash preloader
This Flash tutorial explains how to create a dark Flash preloader showing percent complete and using actionscript.
» Simple picture animation
Learn how to create a simple picture animation in Flash. No actionscript is needed for this.
» Advanced full Flash site - Part 1
This is part 1 of a 4-part Flash tutorial showing you step-by-step how to create an advanced Flash web site.
» Advanced full Flash site - Part 2
How to load your Flash site after preloader animation. Also learn how to load your home page and animate it.
» Advanced full Flash site - Part 3
How to design a menu that animates, and how to use actionscript code with it.
» Advanced full Flash site - Part 4
See how to create site navigation using actionscript code and Frame Label.
» Blur image slide show
This Flash tutorial shows you how to create an image slide show presentation using the blur filter.
» Attractive text effect
This step-by-step Flash tutorial teaches you how to create an attractive text effect.
» 3D circle animation in Flash
Learn how to create a rotating 3D circle without using actionscript.
» Gradient reverse Flash menu
How to create a gradient cubic reverse Flash menu using actionscript.
» 3D animation by mask
This detailed Flash tutorial shows you how to create 3D animation using the mask and some special Flash tricks. No actionscript is required.
» Designing Flash preloader
Learn how to apply the mask effect, then design and create a Flash preloader using actionscript.
Flash 8 Tutorials eBook
This is a free Flash 8 Tutorials eBook, from Macromedia, providing step-by-step Flash tutorials that teach and demonstrate the fundamental features of using Flash 8. It is suggested that you use these Flash lessons with the sample files located in the Samples and Tutorials folder in the Flash installation folder. The path to the sample file is provided in each lesson. By using these Flash tutorials, you will learn how to create a Flash document, add text, graphics, and animation to your Flash applications, write ActionScript, work with video and video control behaviors, and add a Flash component. These lessons are for beginners to intermediate-level Flash designers and developers who want to learn the features of Flash quickly. Each Flash tutorial lesson takes about 10 to 20 minutes to finish. This pdf document is 290 pages in length and 3.1mb in size. Also available at this site are these free Flash ebooks: Using Flash, Learning Actionscript 2.0 in Flash, Getting Started with Flash, Extending Flash, and Using Components.
Contents of Flash 8 Tutorials eBook:
- Chapter 1: Basic Tasks: Create a Document
- Chapter 2: Basic Tasks: Creating a banner, Part 1
- Chapter 3: Basic Tasks: Creating a banner, Part 2
- Chapter 4: Basic Tasks: Creating a banner, Part 3
- Chapter 5: Basic Tasks: Create Accessible Flash Content
- Chapter 6: Basic Tasks: Work with Layers
- Chapter 7: Basic Tasks: Create an Application
- Chapter 8: Basic Tasks: Use Layout Tools
- Chapter 9: Basic Tasks: Create Symbols and Instances
- Chapter 10: Basic Tasks: Add Button Animationstep-by-step tutorials
- Chapter 11: Basic Tasks: Create a Presentation with Screens
- Chapter 12: Creating Graphics: Draw in Flash
- Chapter 13: Creating Graphics: Create a Timeline Animation
- Chapter 14: Creating Graphics: Making Animations
- Chapter 15: Creating Graphics: Applying Gradients
- Chapter 16: Creating Graphics: Apply Graphic Filters
- Chapter 17: Text: Add Text to a Document
- Chapter 18: ActionScript: Use Script Assist mode
- Chapter 19: ActionScript: Write Scripts
- Chapter 20: ActionScript: Add Interactivity
- Chapter 21: ActionScript: Create a Form with Conditional Logic and Send Data
- Chapter 22: ActionScript: Work with Objects and Classes
- Chapter 23: Data Integration: Overview
- Chapter 24: Data Integration: Using the Macromedia Tips Web Service
- Chapter 25: Data Integration: Using XML for a Timesheet
- Chapter 26: Data Integration: Using XUpdate to Update the Timesheet
8 Photoshop Tutorials
Here are 8 Photoshop Tutorials from oktutorials.com that cover drawing, textures, and photo effects.
Nice Simple Button
How to create a simple, yet nice button using Photoshop.
Shut Down Icon
This Photoshop tutorial demonstrates how to create a stylish, modern-looking shut-down button.
In this tutorial the author teaches you how to create a realistic wood texture which you can later use to texture 3D models.
This tutorial shows you how to make a rocky texture that can be used in various ways, such as texturing an asteroid or creating path in a grassland.
Deep Space Nebula
Learn how to create a nice deep space image with stars and a nebula in Photoshop.
Polaroid Photo Layout
This tutorial demonstrates how to transform an image into a polaroid-like photo.
Add A Rainbow
How to add a rainbow to a photo.
Learn how to add a tinted effect to a photo which will give it an older look & feel.
51 Photoshop Learning Documents
AcrobatFiles.com provides free documents, learning and training materials, and articles for many software products. Here are 51 Photoshop Learning and Training Documents in their Software category, all are in pdf format. Included here, at the bottom, are five documents covering Adobe InDesign and one for Adobe Illustrator.
5 Free Book Chapters for Dreamweaver
Here are 5 free Book Chapters for Dreamweaver, from friendsofed.com, four for Dreamweaver 8 and one for Dreamweaver CS3. These will show you how to do the following in Dreamweaver: work with images, web page layout, create a blog and a photo gallery, and create site navigation.Chapter 9: Beginning Page Layout In Dreamweaver
Chapter 6: Working With Images
28 pages, 1.9mv
from Foundation Web Design with Dreamweaver 8
20 pages, 764kb
Chapter 11: Displaying A Blog and Photo Gallery
32 pages, 679kb
from Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8
Chapter 9: Creating A Blog
25 pages, 754kb
from Foundation ASP for Dreamweaver 8
Chapter 7: Building Site Navigation With The Spry Menu Bar
26 pages, 1.4mb
from The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3
4) The Best New Free Web Development Training Sites
Two HTML Tutorials and a CSS Tutorial
Here are two HTML Tutorials and a CSS Tutorial from the University of Texas. These will help you learn the fundamentals of both HTML markup language and CSS (cascading style sheets) to design and create your web pages and web sites.
Basic HTML Tutorial
- Basic Tags
- Text Formatting Tags
- Links & Images
- Additional Resources
- Evaluate this Tutorial
Even More HTML Tutorial
This HTML tutorial teaches you how to create a web page resume using a text editor with HTML. It shows you how to center and justify text, create tables in HTML, build lists, insert a footer, and add meta tags.
Objectives of this HTML Tutorial:
- Center and justify text
- Design a web page table with rows and columns of text
- Write the HTML for an invisible table that creates side-by-side columns
- Create a table that has different colored cells
- Build a list of items with indented text block definitions
- Insert a footer at the bottom of your Web page
- Add embedded information that will help others find your site using Internet searches
Even More HTML Tutorial Contents:
- Text Alignment
- Tables: Basics
- Nested Tables
- Experience Table
- Definition Lists
- Colors & Links
- Other Tags
- Tutorial Handout
- Evaluate this tutorial
What Is CSS?
CSS is an acronym for Cascading Style Sheets. A style sheet is a text file coded to control the rendering and display of web content marked up using HTML. Style sheets are used to make it easier to manage a web site because a single style sheet can control multiple web pages. Using CSS on your web site permits more flexibility, saves time, provides for more efficient site maintenance, and decreases download times.
CSS Tutorial Contents:
- Style vs. Markup
- Syntax & Rules
- Methods of Use
- Writing a Style Sheet
- Putting It All Together
- CSS Resources
- Evaluate this Tutorial
Many PHP Tutorials
Clever Tutorials offers the following large selection of PHP Tutorials gathered from several of the better web development tutorial sites on the web. These cover several areas of PHP scripting and web development, including passwords, logins, content management, cookies, database integration, dates, email, file manipulation, forms, image handling, security, and user statistics.
- PHP Weather
- How to execute PHP using CRON
- PHP - The Ultimate Basics
- Generating random passwords
- "Header Already Sent" Error
- Introduction to PHP
- PHP Simple Login Script
- Introduction to using classes
- Link Exchange System
- Comment Board
- Directory List
- Topsite Script
- Affiliates System
- News CMS With Admin Panel
- Creating a Simple Database Abstraction Layer
- Writing your own MySql class
- PHP and MySQL RSS Feed
- Get MySQL database layout in XML format
- Simple chatbox in PHP/MYSQL
- Banner System
- PHP and MySQL Search Engine
- Updating Database
- MySQL Search Engine
Date and Time
- Creating a simple mail sender class with PHP
- Verifying email address
- Mail Form with PHP and HTML
- Email Validation
- Form Mail
- Multiple files upload
- File System Operations
- Compressing and Decompressing a File in PHP
- File Creator/Editor
- PHP Multiple Upload files
- Contact Form
- Tell A Friend Script
- Anti Spam Bots Form Trick
- Send this page to a Friend
- Making Sticky Forms
- Link Verifier
- How to make custom avatars with php
- Very simple gallery
- Cropped Thubnails
- GD Library Bar Chart
- Drop Shadows with GD Library
- Random Images
- Image Databasing
- Image Uploading
- Creating thumbnail
- Creating a simple photo gallery
- Creating an IRC bot in PHP
- PHP Caching
- Creating a domain checker
- URL Check
- Basic Shoutbox
- Browser-Dependent Stylesheets
- AOL IM Check User Online
- Mini-Chat Tutorial
- Custom Error Messages
- Polling Script
- Simple Word Filter
- Website Localizations and Multi-language Support
- Menu System
- Using phpBB's Template Class
- Page Numbers
- Smarty templates for beginners
- DB Driven Menu
- Easy PHP Pagination
- Template System
- PHP Navigation
- How to safely clean user data
- Full IP Banning System - With Admin Panels
- PHP User System Script Tips
- Making a CAPTCHA
- Banning IP Addresses
- PHP Port Scanner
- Prevent Image Hotlinking
- IP Banning with Admin Panel
- Login script
- Ban Users IP
- Basic PHP Security
- CSS File Protection
User Info and Stats
- Tracking Search Engine Traffic Alexa Ranking
- User online
- File based logging script
- Logging Server Messages
- Displaying Load Times
- Adsense Stats from PHP
- Full Statistics Suite
- Download Counter
- Browser Detection with PHP
- Simple PHP Hit Counter Script
5) The Best New Free Windows, Linux, Hardware and General Computer Training Sites
Windows XP Guides, TIps, and Tricks
Windows XP A User Guide
A 27-page guide assists you with learning the following Windows functionality:
Windows XP for Beginners
- The Desktop
- The Taskbar
- The Start Menu
- Desktop icons
- Desktop settings
- Close Down the PC
- Changing your password
- Basic Windows Operations
- Drives, Folders and Files
- File Management
- Getting Help
- Customizing Windows
- Basic Windows XP Operations with keystrokes
- Where to save computer files
This 20-page guide will get you going with using Windows XP to your advantage.
Windows XP Tips and Tricks
35 good to know Windows XP tips and tricks.
Windows XP TIps and Tricks
2 pages of good advice from Cheltenham Courseware
10 Customization Tricks for Windows XP
5 pages decribing 10 things to know for getting Windows XP to work for you.
Registry Hacks to Speed up Windows XP
Learn how to increase the speed of your menu, place the Windows kernel into RAM, alter prefetch parameters, and disable 8.3 file name creation.
Securing Your Windows Laptop
This 13-page paper describes how you can protect your Windows laptop easily.
Generating Folder and File Listings for Printing or Editing
Longtime PC users and former Mac users alike are often shocked when they realize that there’s no easy, built-in option to print a list of files in a folder. This shows you how to create a context-menu right-click option to create such a list, which you can then edit, copy, paste, and print.
Windows Vista Help and Tips
Tweaking Windows Vista
A 73-page guide on tweaking and optimizing Windows Vista, to get the most out of this operating system.
Tuning Windows Vista’s Performance
Introduction to Windows Vista
- Monitoring Performance
- Optimizing Startup
- Optimizing Applications
- Optimizing the Hard Disk
- Optimizing Virtual Memory
This 15-page document provides you an overview of the functionality of Vista: working with files, saving documents, customizing your PC and using the Internet.
10+ Tweaks, Tricks, and Hacks to make Windows Vista fly
Here are 12 Vista tips and tweaks to help make Vista run better and faster (17 pages).
Living With Vista
A examine of Linux compatibility with Windows Vista.
Tutorials from Lakeland College
Windows XP Zip Tutorial
Use this tutorial to learn the steps of opening and creating zip files in Windows XP.
A tutorial for creating zip files and unzipping files with the WinZip program.
Screen Recording Tutorial
Learn how to do screen recording (making videos of your desktop and active programs) using Camtasia.
What is RSS?
RSS is a popular technology used to syndicate web page content through what is known as a “feed”. The feed is basically an xml document that stores the web page metadata and contents.
6) Software, Office and Computer Sites and Downloads Worth Mentioning
The following programs are totally Free, no popups, no adware, no spyware, and no shareware.
Icon Phile 2.1a
Icon Phile is a small program for customizing windows's system icons. Using IconPhile you can change the standard Desktop icons (MY Computer, Recycle Bin, Network Neighborhood, etc..), drive icons (Hard drive, Floppy drives, external drives), folder icons (Open and Closed Folders, Printers, DialUp, Tasks.. or any individual folder) and more. Icon Phile's main feature is document icon customization. It also lets you change File Type icons by extension. The file list is totally user configurable.
Download (327 kB)
GraphCalc is an all-in-one solution to everything from everyday arithmetic to statistical analysis, from betas to Booleans, from cubes to calculus, from decimals to derivatives. GraphCalc combines all the features of a professional mathematics package with the simplicity of an easy to learn windows interface. It provides user-friendly help and tutorials to guide you through the easy and fun process of mastering GraphCalc.
Download (348 kB)
Advanced Diary 1.3
Using this application, you can keep one or more simple and free private digital diaries for your daily records. It supports multiple diaries and multiple entries for a single day. No other diary software is capable of keeping multiple diaries in a single database file. Advanced Diary is clearly structured and easily searched. Interlinking one entry to another is possible as well. Third, there are two available modes - Calendar (show by date) and Document Tree (show by file).
Download (2866 kB)
Envelope Wizard 1.0
This program will guide you through the steps, necessary for using your computer and printer for addressing an envelope. At each step along the way, you be asked to provide information for addressing the envelope. You may then proceed to the next step, if you find that you have made a mistake in a previous step, you can back up and redo it.
Download (211 kB)
ContactPocket is an address book that provides optional encryption for extra security, sync manager to synchronize your contacts over multiple machines and powerful search features.
Download (2224 kB)
PixVue is an image management application that integrates with the Microsoft Windows Explorer to provide ease of use, accessing a wide variety of image-related functions and data. With PixVue you can:
Download (7555 kB)
- Find images, located anywhere on your hard drives.
- Embed descriptive text in your images, en masse, with PixVue's XMP/ IPTC editor.
- View JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF & BMP images in either "Preview" or "Slide Show" windows.
- Create CDROM-based slide shows.
- View Camera settings.
7) Question of the Month about Software Training:
Each month Jeff Love will answer a current or important question that we have received about computer and software training.
October 2007 Question of the Month:
I'd like to carry some of my files and documents with me on a USB drive so wherever I go I can access and edit them using their associated applications. Which applications can I install and run directly from a USB drive?Answer:
USB drives are, without a doubt, the best way to carry and use your data and applications on various computers in different locations. They are better that other types of portable media, such as 3 -1/2 diskettes and rewritable CDs. These small drives are very convenient to use and they can store a lot of data. The prices for these types of drives have been coming down, and you can purchase them for much less than what they cost a couple years ago.
You can easily access your files and the applications using these files, all from your USB drive. To be safe and secure, be sure to read and follow the suggestions on this page, Safe Portable App-ing. The following is a list of portable applications you can install on a USB drive and use with their associated files that also can be located on this portable drive.
- OpenOffice.org Portable is the complete OpenOffice.org office suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation tool, drawing package and database) that is packaged as a portable app, so you can take all your Office documents with you and work on them wherever you go. This application both reads and writes Microsoft Office documents, such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- AbiWord Portable, a word processor compatible with Word .doc files.
- LIsten to your mp3 or other sound fomatted files using CoolPlayer, XMPlay, or VLC Media Player Portable.
- MPlayer Portable, a full-featured movie and video player.
- KeePass, a free and open-source password manager to manage your passwords securely. This is recommended if you are using your USB drive on a public or non-trusted pc.
- AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, for free anti-virus protection. Alternatively, you can use ClamWin Portable, which is the ClamWin antivirus app packaged as a portable app.
- GIMP Portable, a very functional Photo and Image Editing tool.
- Firefox Portable. the award-winning web browser that's safe and secure.
- Thunderbird Portable, an email client with many features.
- Pidgin Portable, chat with AOL, MSN and Yahoo users in an easy-to-use interface.
- Use SynchToy or SyncBack Freeware to backup your files and data.
- Install the free Sage Dictionary and Thesaurus by installing it on your PC and then copying the installed directory to your apps folder on the USB drive.
I hope this helps you.
8) Please Support Our Training Mission
How You Can Support Our Computer and Software Training Mission
Please help support EducationOnlineForComputers.com's Computer and Sofware Education and Training Mission by visiting our sponsors below and requesting more information. By doing so, you will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an Information Technology career.
This is our new free computer and IT education and training search engine housing over 150,000 free training internet resources! Just type in a topic you're looking for and get tons of great web resources instantly. These search results are much better than the big search engines, like google. You can also check out our predefined search results page giving you tons of free training resources: http://www.edcomp.com/predefined.htm.
ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs
University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career
DeVry: Online degrees for working adults
Free Computer Software Training Now!
A free and member-based software educational and training portal web site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked many sites that will be of keen interest to computer software application end-users seeking free training and knowledge. Many subject areas are covered, including Microsoft Office, Flash, Photoshop, Dreamwever, FrontPage, Web Development, Windows, Linux, and Computer Hardware. You are able to study and learn all about computer software via Free training, courses, tutorials, documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Check us out today.
Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are expected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices. Downloaded and online material is copyrighted whether or not a copyright notice is present.
***EducationOnlineForComputers.com's Member Site ***
Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer software training resources and tutorials. This content is individually linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your software and computer learning experience. We have done all the web research and presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your computer training.
EducationOnlineForComputers.com Member Site FAQ Answers:
- All of the web sites and pages in our members site are not in the free section of our web site. The member site training is more detailed and the best available. The online training resources in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much more detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will save you time in finding all the best free training on the web.
- You can choose to pay using either Paypal or 2Checkout. If paying pay check and you live in the U.S., please select 2Checkout.
- You have a choice to select the non-recurring or recurring method of payment. If you select non-recurring, when your membership period expires, you will not be automatically charged another fee on your credit card or check.
- The total price to join our member's site is only $14 total for 2 months, $24 for 4 months, $32 for 6 months, or $56 for a whole year. The funds generated will assist us to help all those seeking software application education training. Here's the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign up: http://tinyurl.com/7ien You can email Jeff Love with questions at email@example.com
I will give you 5 Great Free Bonuses when you sign up now.
These are as follows:
- 28 Modules of Soft Skills Training, covering topics such as Coaching, Delegating, Finance Essentials, Hiring, Leading and Motivating Team, Making a Presentation, Managing Your Time, and Setting Goals.
- 19 Online Business and Reference Books, including titles such as Scientific Advertising, The Art of Electronic Publishing, and Small Business Manual
- 12 Instructive e-Books, including On Line Stealth Marketing, 7 Secrets to Unlimited Traffic, and Increase Auction Profits.
- Instant and Easy Online Access to the 24 Best Free Computer Help & Support Sites.
- 45 of the Best, Completely Free Programs and Utilities.
To Subscribe to this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank email to this address:
(You will need to confirm using a link in a confirming email.)
Or go to this web page and use the subscribe form:
To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank email to this address:
(no need to confirm)
Or simply go to this web page and use the unsubscribe form: